Why I accepted Christ as a Math and Science student
About time I wrote about this. Today’s 10/10/11. In about a month and a few more days, we would all be graduating from NUS High School, marking the end of our journey in NUS High and the beginning of a new one elsewhere. However, graduation would also mark the sixth year I accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior.
Funny isn’t it? Many people often say that science and religion cannot go together. Science is based on hard solid facts backed up by countless statistics and evidences while religion seems to be just about having a blind faith. Sometimes, it even seems delusional. God can’t be proven. God neither be quantified like statistics nor qualitatively described like a pH indicator. But my faith has not been a blind one.
“I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘move from here to there’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew 17:20
“Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” John20:29
One of the first verses that impacted me was Matthew 17:20. My faith indeed, started off rather blindly. I was exposed to Jesus Christ as a kid, but accepting Him as Lord and Savior or reading the Bible and such other practices were never enforced. As a primary school kid, I was a free thinker, and proud to be one. During my PSLE year though, I was the bottom of my class with disastrous grades, thus P6 was a very stressful year for me. At the same time, I remembered placing my bible my bedside when I was younger, hoping that I wouldn’t get nightmares. I started to remember God and pray to Him again. This sparked my curiosity to want to know more. At the start of my year 1 in NUS High, I joined the sec 1 cells at Grace Assembly of God. But at the same time, I started learning more about science than I ever had before.
During the first few years of high school, one of the most major things taught in school was how to write lab reports. (This, I much later found out, while it was almost normal of most of us, other schools never taught such things.) More importantly, how to analyse results deduce conclusions. As all ‘good’ science students should know, smoking results can sometimes be fatal. Everything we do should be based on observation, previous studies etc. in short, fact, which can be quantified and observed. On the other hand, the concept of God seemed a little iffy. God couldn’t be quantified, couldn’t be seen, and couldn’t be observed. Based on scientific method, God cannot be proven to exist. However, to me, learning more about God started to make me realize God was more than some imaginary being. The more I encountered God during cell and quiet time, the more I started to experience God in my own special way.
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28
Melancholic- as defined form Wikipedia: A person who is a thoughtful ponderer has a melancholic disposition. Often very considerate and get rather worried when they could not be on time for events, melancholics can be highly creative in activities such as poetry and art - and can become preoccupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world. A melancholic is also often a perfectionist. They are often self-reliant and independent; one negative part of being a melancholic is sometimes they can get so involved in what they are doing they forget to think of others.
In more simple terms, as defined by myself, melancholics are often introverts.
Out of the four personality types of the ancient medical concept of humorism, I seem to be excessively skewed in this area. Quite frankly, socializing is not one of the things I like. For those who know the present me, I can still be rather socially awkward at times, and if I don’t see the need, I would very much prefer to be by myself. yay. The problem was much worse when I was younger though. For unknown reasons, I was fearful of talking to people. So, I had literally no friends in primary school. However, when I entered secondary school, I wanted to change. I wanted to make friends and have fun like everybody else. But I didn’t have the guts to do so. Instead, I asked God for confidence. Slowly but surely, God helped me open up my heart to others around me while constantly reminding me that His love and grace was sufficient. That gave me peace. God’s love did not just stop there. Throughout the past six years, the number of mistakes I have made, problems I have caused just kept increasing. Yet, God never abandoned me. Each and every time I was insecure about grades or about myself when I prayed, God would reassure me. Definitely, as I reflect about this, I realize that I deserve none of what God has given me.
Well , yeah. Thanks for reading this long post if you did. Perhaps, God cannot be proven from what we currently understand and know. But certainly, I believe we can find God when we approach and open our hearts to Him. I have experienced this myself. To find out, why don’t you give it a try too?:)
No comments:
Post a Comment